Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Writer's Block: Jamaica Kincaid - 'Poor Visitor'

The Writer's Block: Jamaica Kincaid - 'Poor Visitor':

Yes, Kincaid's awareness about her writing was strong and impressive. She said "my thoughts and my observations were important to a reader".
It seems that this self-confidence made her a writer. Also, it shows us that she clearly started writing for readers, and she made herself a writer.
As for myself, I'm not really sure what is the most important aspect, but I know when I feel pain, it always drives me to write something rather
than when I am happy.

When I read 'Poor Visitor', I was fascinated by the balance of this character's innocence and self-observation. Although her situation was not that
special--- a lot of people experience leaving their family, hometown or country, and everybody feels homesick--- she was definitely an" outsider"
in the story. It made her own experience a fiction, not an autobiography. Also, as we can feel it from the title "Poor Visitor", she has a sense of
masochistic humor, and I really liked it. I think we can learn a lot from her style.

I'm sorry but I cannot think of the question, so would like to ask you the same question. What are the parts of your expression you consider the
most important when you write?

No comments:

Post a Comment