Wednesday, September 15, 2010

poor visitor.Jamaica Kincaid

Yes i guess we all have been in a place that's new to us.I personally can picture myself in this situation because there have been so many times i found myself new to a system,way of life,house or set of people.In each case,it took me some time to situate myself and adjust to my new environment.In the beginning, i was very reserved and people misjudged me.They thought i was some unfriendly and cold person. But with time,as we got used to being and living with each other,they realized afterall that beneath the dark-gray garment was a heart full of love and steam.

I like the fact that Kincaid uses a lot of images to fully describe her thoughts and state of mind.The way she puts everything is very typical and genuine.Everything she says sounds very true to me as i have also been in her shoes.I had to leave my hometown for this foreign land.I was full of hopes and dreams as i left ;to finally be able to see the much talked about "United States of America".This is a dreamland in my country and i felt lucky to have this opportunity.I had hopes of meeting people and seeing faces i used to see only on TV.I thought i was going to be walking on a red carpet and live in a presidential house.I thought i would never see grass or dirt on the streets.But just like Kincaid,i was somewhat disappointed at what i met.
Kidcaid also reminisces about home a lot and her loved ones which she misses and again,this is exactly the situation i find myself in.She makes mention of "pink mullet and green figs cooked in coconut milk".This makes me see her as a true daughter of her homeland.All her experiences and thoughts are just so real that i am tempted to call her the "mirror of reality".Everything she feels and expresses are things which any other person in her shoes would feel.I admire her for the way she still remains the "real her" even when the maid in the house tells her she doesn't like her.She doesn't try to make herself likable or appealing. She remains down to earth.
One last thing which makes Kincaid a good writer is her sense of humor.When she tries to describe the sun on her first morning,she says "...the sun had grown weak from trying too hard to shine..." This is funny to me as i try to imagine the sun;a non living thing trying hard to do something and we all know the sun shines effortlessly so it was funny for Kincaid to have said the sun looked like it had grown weak from trying too hard to shine.
As i read through the story i questioned myself and ultimately you.what is the message Kincaid is trying to pass across to her readers?She mentions her disappoinment in the beginning about the places she used to dream were points of hope.She also reminisces about home and becomes homesick and tells us about her unhappiness.At the end, she describes this family she lived with and expresses some degree of like for them.What then would have been the main reason why Kincaid chose to write about this story?Which event amongst all of these must have been her purpose for telling us this story?

No comments:

Post a Comment