Sunday, September 12, 2010

"Poor Visitor" by, Jamaica Kincaid

Hi!

I guess I'm the first one to post a review about the homework on the reading, "Poor Visitor".

So, as I read this story, I found a part in the story that I could relate to. For instance, when the main character arrives to stay with the host family, she explains to the reader how she felt, which she says, "In the books I had read-from time to time, when the plot called for it-someone would suffer from homesickness. A person would leave a not very nice situation and go somewhere else, somewhere a lot better, and then long to go back where it was not very nice. How impatient I would become with such a person, for i would feel that i was not in a very nice situation myself, and how I wanted to go somewhere else." (Kincaid, 271).

In essence, she compares herself to the characters in the story she's read, in which they chose to go somewhere to get away from a certain situation, and now she is feeling regret for it.

I relate to this particular part of the story because when I traveled to Puerto Rico on my own last year during the winter, and I had arrived at the place I was staying in, I felt quite homesick. I almost decided, after the third day, that I was going to buy a ticket back to Boston. However, I stayed there for the rest of my vacation; I couldn't just give up and return home. Besides, there was much nicer weather there than back in Boston.

So, now my question to the rest of you bloggers, was there a certain part you could relate to in the story?

No comments:

Post a Comment