Friday, September 24, 2010

"After I was thrown into the river, and before I drowned" by David Eggens

Hi,

I didn't enjoy reading Egger's story very much. I managed to finish reading it until the end, but as I read, what I didn't like was that I got confused by the way the sentences were written; it was mostly run on sentences. I know, it's supposed to represent how a dog would think. However, I also didn't like how I had to read some lines twice in order to try and understand what it meant.

However, I did get a sense of what the story was about though; the character, Steven, explained that at the beginning stages of his life, his owner treated him badly and threw him in the river. Soon after he was found by a fisherman, who saved him and gave him shelter, until a family came and adopted Steven. Throughout the story, Steven mentions how much he loved to run, and he thought of himself as a very fast runner. Steven would go out to run with a group of other dogs, and they would have races every time they met together. However, at the end of the story, he ran so fast and tried to jump over a river bank, but ended up falling in the water and dying.

(note: I'm not sure if what I wrote above spoils the story for anyone...)

Even though Steven was dead, he was still "alive" in a way; living inside his own dead body. When I read this, I thought of the phrase "All dogs go to heaven", which was when Steven was alive again, and was living in a better place (in a another dog's body, of course).

Even though I understood the basic plot, I am not sure of what the core meaning of it was. Perhaps it has to do with dogs, and how they should enjoy freedom? Yet, freedom could be dangerous? I don't know

Readers, what are your interpretations of this story?

No comments:

Post a Comment