Tuesday, September 28, 2010

“After I Was Thrown in the River and Before I Drowned”

At first when I was reading this short story, I thought the main character was a small dog (chiwawa or something), but as I read on I found that was not the case. He was a big dog and he was mighty fast. I love how Eggers portrayed the main character- he is strong and never gives up, especially when it is doing something he loves. The dialog is simply superb- the way he makes the characters act is how I would imagine a dog’s actions. The bull dog is a great example of this; he was pigheaded, and all about himself. I also like how the dogs are not fond of adult humans and squirrels, hahaha.
To run is what they strive for and without it, there’s not much to do. It’s like taking away their freedom in a way. Towards the ending of the story one of the dogs, Susan, is injured. The next time, the main character "dies" while doing the obstacle course. He finds himself in a different world, where everything’s better. No building! Here he was free and the entire land was devoted to his running, walking, and anything/everything he wanted to do. This was his heaven. What I got from this story, especially the ending was that perhaps doggy heaven is reliving whatever made him/her happy. What do you think? What other ideas have been raised in your mind about the story?

No comments:

Post a Comment