Thursday, September 16, 2010

Poor Visitor by Jamaica Kincaid

While reading the story I realized how poetic the author wrote. Her lines seemed to flow together. The story opens with her emotions and thoughts and it was an interesting way to learn about the character through her thoughts. She used a lot of imagery and personification to describe her thoughts. The most interesting concept I came across during the reading was the idea of being in a new place but missing home. That seems to make perfect sense but in this situation the character left home to escape. This idea stood out to me because I feel like this is something that most people who escaped and make it to their new lives experience.The sense of starting over and change is hard for a lot of people. I can relate to that as well. Like going off to college and having to live with someone you never met before who was raised differently than you. They may have different customs and you need to learn how to live with them.
The author did a really great job helping the reader connect to the character's feelings. I also believe its interesting how an author can take parts of their lives and turn it into a fictional story. I wondered if this is what most authors do when writing their own stories. Do all of them get their inspiration from their lives?
Another interesting thing I found while reading the interview with the author is that the character Lucy was black or African american and that it wasn't mentioned in the story. It was funny to me because I didn't even realize I did not know her race and it didn't bother me. But after seeing that the character was an African immigrant it did help me understand some smaller details in the story. My question is does anyone believe that this character race is extremely important to understand the entire story? Did learning she was African American change your perspective on the story?

No comments:

Post a Comment