Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Poor Visitor - Jamaica Kincaid

I've always day dreamed since I was a child. I definitely agree that it's a gateway into our creative recesses and a lot of meaning comes from day dreaming. I think of day dreams as the same as the thoughts that come up during meditation. They hold value and understanding. I day dream about a lot of different things but usually my head is somewhere in the future.

Now, about the story,

Jamaica Kincaid effectively depicts the lifestyle of our modern society through the eyes of a foreigner. Although in the beginning of the story we do not know too much underlying details about her, it is clear that she is bold and independent. I can somewhat relate because I too had lived in a foreign country at one time and much of my family still lives there.


The culture of other countries can sometimes baffle those unfamiliar and it can be very difficult to settle into a place where you may not know the norms. However, it did bring me peace of mind to see that her host family were kind to her. She was able to observe their traditional lifestyle without a stressful atmosphere.

It was interesting to see how outgoing and "normal" she was within her flashbacks. From the looks of it, she was genuinely fine with living with less as long as she could live with friends. The dream at the end was quite comical and ironic. It ties the story to an optimistic future that's somewhat heartfelt but awkward at the same time. Overall, it was a nice story that I'm certain many people can relate to.

My question for the next blogger would be... Have you ever had a situation where you wanted to express your opinion but you couldn't because of one reason or another? If so, what was the situation?

No comments:

Post a Comment