Thursday, October 7, 2010

The Writer's Block: "We Didn't" By Stuart Dybek

The Writer's Block: "We Didn't" By Stuart Dybek:

I was interested in the narrative in this story. He used “you”, so it made me feel that this story is intimate and wonder when he talked this story, and how old he is now. Using “you” can be dangerous, especially this story is about the fail of intimacy between a young couple; we readers are not “you”, so it can be too sappy for us to keep reading. However, Dybek definitely succeeded in connecting us to their experience with an exquisite distance. It seems to me that this author chose a brave way to narrate. Plus, I really liked the episode of the dead woman with a baby. It’s understandable for me that she didn’t want to make out.

“We Didn’t” shows us what love is. I felt sorry for this couple, but, at the same time, it reminded me of the fact that sometimes it can be even comical to other people, no matter how we really needs love, and every love or relationship is personal, serious and special to the one who is in love. Also, no matter how old we are, love is always painful.

No comments:

Post a Comment