Saturday, November 20, 2010

Going" by Amy Hempel

Hi everybody,

I was really surprised at how short the story was. I knew it was supposed to be short but when I opened my book I thought "It's only a little more than a page?" The story isn't spectacular but it does have some interesting details. I liked that the character in the story was driving the car and was looking through the binoculars at the same time. I didn't think it was smart but I had to admire it because I don't think I would be able to come up with something so different. But I guess Amy Hempel would have been able to either seeing as how she got the idea from a real life experience.

I also liked how instead of saying that the nurse in the story was very beautiful she managed to convey the idea in a funnier way by saying "...this nurse makes every other woman look like a sex-change." I thought that was a unique way of describing her.

I also found it interesting how in the interview it was said that she wrote a story that was only a sentence long. I don't think if I'd consider one sentence a story but reading that someone has written one definitely surprised me. Does anyone else think a sentence is to short to be a story?

No comments:

Post a Comment